Author Topic: Daedalus Wallet FAQ  (Read 6432 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Daedalus Wallet FAQ
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »
When will there be a Cardano Blockchain Explorer?
The Cardano Blockchain Explorer can be found at cardanoexplorer.com.

Will we support iOS and Android?
Daedalus is what is known as a "full" or "thick" client. Daedalus is running the Cardano protocol and participating directly in the network. Full clients are usually unable to run on a mobile operating system. Later, Cardano will also have "light" or "thin" clients. Light clients only hold transaction information and private keys, and interact indirectly with the protocol, usually through a service or public network node. Light clients have their own unique security concerns and are a little further along on the Cardano roadmap. https://cardanoroadmap.com/

Is there a Win32 installer?
No, Cardano does not support 32-bit Windows at the moment. Only 64-bit Windows is supported.

I cannot open the installer file.
If you downloaded the installer using Internet Explorer, try downloading it using another browser (Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari) instead. There have been multiple reports that the download did not work correctly on Internet Explorer.

I cannot install Daedalus properly.
Please restart your computer before running the installer. Make sure you run the installer as administrator.

I get "couldn't run the node (it didn't start after 5s)" error on Daedalus launch. What should I do?
Please close the error message and launch Daedalus again.

I am stuck at the loading screen, it says "Connecting to network". What should I do?
Please restart your computer and check your internet connection. Note that connecting might take up to half a minute in some cases. If you are using an antivirus, make sure Daedalus is in its exceptions list and try restarting.

For Windows: please make sure that you launch Daedalus using either shortcut created during the installation (Daedalus shortcut on the desktop) or daedalus.bat file located at the installation directory (default is: C:\Program Files\Daedalus\daedalus.bat).

In short: users needs to synchronize his PC time with Internet. Steps to do this on Win10:

Press Win+S
    Type in Settings
    In Find a setting field type in Date
    Go to Date and time settings
    Press Additional date, time & regional settings. New window will pop up.
    Press Set date and time
    Go to Internet time tab
    Press Change settings
    Press Update now
    Note: there should be a message like The clock was successfully synchronized; if there's an error, try pressing Update now again or change the server from the dropdown menu

Mac

Quit the application
    Click the clock that is located on the top right of the screen
    Select Open Date & Time Preferences
    Unlock the preferences
    Uncheck the Set date and time automatically
    Restart the application

I am stuck at the loading screen, it says "Syncing blocks" at X.X%. What should I do?

Please note that blocks are synced in steps, each of which might take up to a minute. If Daedalus is stuck at X.XX% value for several minutes, please check your internet connection and try to restart Daedalus. If the internet connection is stable and syncing is still freezing after the restart, please follow the instruction below to reset the blocks in your PC.

Win:

Type %appdata% on the explorer’s address bar
    Open Daedalus folder
    Delete the content of DB-1.0

Mac:

On the Finder’s menu bar select Go
    Click Go to Finder…
    Type ~/Library/Application Support/Daedalus
    Delete the content of the DB-1.0 folder

What is "transaction assurance level"? What is the difference between "normal" and "strict"?
Transaction assurance level is a guarantee that a transaction will not be cancelled by some fork in case of the attack by an adversary. There is a complex formula that depends on transaction depth in the blockchain (how many blocks before the most recent one were included into the block, the number of confirmations) and the amount of adversarial stake. Things are much simpler during the first 3 months of operation of mainnet since all the stake that participate in the process of staking (block generation in proof of stake system) is controlled by IOHK. Same goes for the testnet. "Normal" and "strict" are different user settings as shown below.

Normal setting:

Low assurance: < 3 confirmations
    Medium assurance: 3 to 6 confirmations
    High assurance: 7+ confirmations

Strict setting:

Low assurance: < 5 confirmations
    Medium assurance: 5 to 10 confirmations
    High assurance: 11+ confirmations

Was I Force vended or Paper vended?
Force vended: If the ADA exchange was unable to contact you via email or phone, and/or you did not go through the Ada Voucher Vending Machine, then you were probably Force vended on March 25th, 2017. In addition, some users who were vended through the AVVM may have been Force vended as well because of technical issues. In this case, your AVVM certificate(s) will not be redeemed, you must use the ones received in your email. Note that all Force vended emails are sent from "info@system.attaincorp.net".

Paper vended: During Force vend, some emails failed to deliver. In this case, the certificate was mailed via certified mail. The seed or redemption key is encrypted, so you must use the Paper vend redemption tab to redeem.

I cannot redeem my encrypted certificate via Regular/Forced redemption.
Please note that if the wallet you are trying to redeem to is protected by a password, you will have to enter your wallet's password in the Password field for the redemption. Mnemonics (9-word passphrase) for the encrypted certificate should be entered in the Passphrase to Decrypt the Ada Voucher Certificate field.

Also note that if you are trying to redeem a non-encrypted certificate, you will only need to enter your wallet's password in the Password field.

I cannot redeem my paper vend
Unfortunately, the font used on the certificate makes it difficult to distinguish between 0 (zero) and O (capital o); and I (capital i) and l (lower-case L). You will need to try different combinations of 0, O, l and I.

Force vended: How do I match the Ada code from my receipt to a certificate if I have multiple certificates?
The only way to decrypt the force vended certificates is with the secret information sent to you at your receipt. You will need to try all combinations of receipt information to certificate to decrypt

How do I decrypt my encrypted certificate?
You can drag and drop your decrypted or encrypted certificate into the Daedalus redemption box. To decrypt, enter the 9-word passphrase given to you during vending.

Where did my ADA go? My transaction isn’t showing on the exchange.

Transactions: Where did my ADA go? My transaction isn’t showing on the exchange.

Transactions are made of “senders” and “receivers”, sometimes “from” and “to”.

When you click receive on Daedalus you will have the option to click your receiving address to give to someone or an exchange or generate a new address to give out.

When you click send on Daedalus, you will have a form to paste an address to send to, along with the amount you would like to send.

After you enter the information and click send, the transaction is made and sent to the network.

To see the transaction, click on the transaction in your transaction list which can be found on the summary tab or the transaction tab. Here you will see:

Ada Sent: the time it was sent
    From Address: The address in your wallet the transaction was sent from.
    To Address: Here, you will see two addresses. One is the address you sent to, and the other is the ‘change’ address.
    Transaction ID: This number can be used in the cardanoexplorer.com to find your transaction. If you don’t see it on the explorer, you transaction did not go through.

What is a change address? Sometimes you only need to send a smaller amount than you have stored in your address. All funds must be spent from the address, so two transactions are made. One to the receiving address and one back to your wallet. This is done to an unused address in your wallet for security reasons.

Exchanges Exchanges have requirement for number of transactions before approving the coins for trading. This is because forks can happen, and they need to ensure they control the coins before allowing them to trade.

In addition, sometimes a transaction is not seen in the network for various reasons. If you do not see your transaction in the exchange, please check cardanoexplorer.com

When I launch Daedalus, installer starts running instead of the application.
If you're using Windows PC, please make sure you're using desktop mode when running Daedalus. We've had reports where you cannot run the application when the PC is in tablet mode.

I've made transactions/redemption but it's not being shown in the summary. What happened?
This is because the Daedalus is not being updated properly. Please restart Daedalus to see if it shows up. If it doesn't show up, please report a bug

I forgot my spending password. What should I do?
In order to reset your password, you'll need to delete the wallet and recover it using the recovery phrase. To restore your wallet, please click Add Wallet then select Restore.

Didn't find your answer?

Please provide the following information:

1) Describe the issue you are experiencing in detail and attach screenshots if needed. If possible, specify when the error occured exactly.

2) Attach your Daedalus logs:
Windows:

Go to C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Daedalus\Logs
    Archive 'pub' folder

MacOS

Open the Finder
    Go to the Menu Bar and open the "Go" menu
    Select "Go to Folder..."
    Enter the following path (for the standard installation): ~/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/Logs
    Archive 'pub' folder

Warning: Do not send sensitive information such as your redemption key. IOHK will never ask you for such information.

Source:
https://daedaluswallet.io/faq/